Knee Pain Treatment with our St. Paul Chiropractor
Dr. Craig Couillard, our experienced Lakeville and St. Paul chiropractor, has treated hundreds of people struggling with knee pain. Chiropractic care from Lake Marion Chiropractic Center is a natural and holistic option for this wide-ranging condition, which impacts people of all ages and backgrounds.
Common Knee Pain Diagnoses
Why does your knee hurt? Our chiropractor in St. Paul and Lakeville uses a combination of physical exam techniques, patient history assessment, and imaging studies as needed to diagnose conditions such as:
- Osteoarthritis: joint inflammation and degradation of the protective cartilage layer inside the knee, causing painful bone rubbing on bone
- Ligament Sprains: the ligaments inside and around the knee often become sprained or torn due to abberrent movements (e.g, sudden pivoting)
- Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runner's Knee): caused by damage to the underside of the knee cap, often as a result of excessive running, jumping, etc.
- Patellar Tendonitis: inflammation and irritation of the tendon connecting the knee cap to the tibia (shin bone)
Knee pain can also be referred from osteoarthritis in the hip or nerve root compression in the lower spine.
Common Causes Symptoms of Knee Pain
Symptoms of knee pain often include tenderness, instability, swelling, redness, warmth, decreased range of motion, and clicking or grinding in the knee. These symptoms can make it quite difficult to function in daily life.
There are likely a number of factors contributing to your knee condition. Identifying and addressing these factors can make your rehabilitation outcomes more effective and sustainable. Common risk factors include:
- Acute sports injury (especially a slip and fall or some sort of direct impact to the knee)
- Poor body mechanics and technique during running
- Weakness and flexibility limitations in the leg and hip musculature
- Altered postural alignment that places odd strain on the knee (e.g., excessively high or excessively flat arches, excessive hip internal rotation, etc.)
How Chiropractor Helps People with Knee Pain
After making his diagnosis, Dr. Couillard and Dr. Christine can offer a variety of individualized services to manage your symptoms and resolve or control underlying factors. Such services may include:
- Chiropractic adjustments, to realign the spine and pelvis, thereby reducing abnormal load through the knee joints
- Soft tissue therapy and sports massage, to manipulate connective tissues surrounding the knee and break up fascial adhesions and restore normal motion
- Functional Movement Screens, to identify problematic areas of imbalance, weakness, and impaired motor control
Is Your Knee in Pain? Experience Drug-Free Relief at Lake Marion Chiropractic Center in Lakeville and St. Paul
Come to the Lake Marion Chiropractic Center to meet with one of Minnesota's best chiropractors! To schedule your appointment with our chiropractors in Lakeville or St. Paul, contact us at 952-469-8385.