Sciatica pain occurs when the sciatic nerve is inflamed, irritated, or pinched. The most common cause is a ruptured or slipped disk that exerts pressure on the root nerve. Compression of the sciatic nerve results in a sharp or shooting pain that radiates from the lower back to the back of the legs. Sciatica pain ranges from mild to severe. Thankfully, sciatic nerve pain is easily relieved with chiropractic care.
At Lake Marion Chiropractic, we have years of experience providing residents of St. Paul, MN, and Lakeville, MN with chiropractic care for sciatica treatment. Our chiropractor will evaluate your musculoskeletal system to identify the root cause of your sciatic nerve pain and create a chiropractic care plan to address it.
Risk Factors Associated with Sciatica
Experts estimate that about 40% of people will experience sciatica at least once in their lifetime. The following factors increase your chances of developing sciatica:
- Age: Age-related changes like herniated discs and bone spurs trigger sciatica.
- Obesity: Excess body weight increases stress on your spine, causing sciatica.
- Occupation: Physically demanding jobs can trigger sciatica.
- Prolonged sitting: People who sit for extended periods have a high likelihood of developing sciatica than active people.
- Pregnancy: While weight gain and increased fluid retention during pregnancy trigger sciatica. Also, the relaxing hormone produced during pregnancy relax ligaments around the hips, causing a shift in the center of gravity that may irritate the sciatic nerve.
Symptoms of Sciatica
While the pain that radiates from the lower back to the thighs is the classic symptom of sciatica, other signs include:
- Weakness, numbness, or difficulty when moving the leg
- Hip pain
- Lower back pain
- Pain in the leg that worsens with sitting
- A shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up
Chiropractic Treatment for Sciatica
After evaluating your pain, our chiropractor will use one or a combination of the below techniques for sciatica nerve pain treatment:
- Spinal adjustment: restoring the spine’s natural alignment will relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Spinal decompression: Gentle stretching of the spine will also relieve lower back pressure while encouraging damaged discs and soft tissues to regenerate.
- Exercises: Exercises to strengthen your abdominal and lower back muscles will enhance chiropractic care and minimize the likelihood of your sciatic nerve pain returning.
Sciatica Treatment in St. Paul, MN, and Lakeville, MN
If you are looking for sciatica treatment in St. Paul or Lakeville, contact Lake Marion Chiropractic Center today. For more information or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor, call us at (952) 469-8385.